Owning a Pet in China
- All pets living in Shenzhen need to be licensed with the police department. The license takes two weeks to process and can be done through a licensed pet hospital. To obtain the license you will need:
- Two clear photos of your pet: one full body, one face
- 300 RMB (150RMB with proof of sterilization
- Many pet shops and veterinarians in Shenzhen are illegal businesses. It is important to adopt pets from government licensed businesses and take your pet to a government licensed vet for vaccines and check-ups. We will post a list of licensed businesses soon. In the interim, you can contact Judy’s Dog Rescue for referrals.
- Pesticides and cleaning products in China are of a different caliber than those found in most western countries. In light of this, please be very careful about where your pet walks and do not let you pet lick his/her paws. You might also consider asking your landlord not to spray insect repellent.
Pet ownership laws in China change constantly and often without notice. We make every effort to keep the most current information on this website but cannot be responsible for missing or outdated information.